Designed in the 1870’s by premier ecclesiastical architect James Murphy, the Basilica of Saint John the Evangelist was not complete until years later when funding became available and a local stage set designer completed the permanent ceiling and roof. The appearance was an interior of compromised integrity and tentative design, having been modified a number of ways over its history. Modifications included removal of gallery seating, to several decorative paint campaigns at the Apse and side chapels only. It was important to the client that the new design be confident and strong, as well as authentic in the historical tradition of church decorating. The new interior was to be reflective of the liturgy, Catholic tradition and symbols, as well as celebrate their patron, St. John. The design creativity essential to artisanship and the high caliber execution critical to craftsmanship were both key to the success of this project. The result here is not an example of purity of design, but one of quality design that transforms several inherited challenges into a unified whole that is capable of glorifying the purity of the worship that takes place within.
Location: Stamford, CT
Original Architect: James Murphy and Patrick Keely
Style: Art Deco, Byzantine and Colonial
Planning & Design Services
Restoration & Decoration Techniques