Fulton County Courthouse
John Canning & Co. performed a historic paint study prior to any restoration work to determine the original color palette.
Location: Wauseon, OH
Built: Circa 1872
Original Architect: Charles C. Miller
Style: Neoclassical Renaissance
Status: National Register of Historic Places
The restoration of the Fulton County Common Pleas Courtroom included painting and plastering ; refurbishing the chairs and the wooden barrier between the court area and the spectator gallery; restoring the walls and the conserving the historic paintings; recreating the courtroom’s original stadium-style seating and returning the courtroom to its original classical lines and color scheme.
Fourteen paintings were conserved: 10 murals and 4 tondos portrats of early American political leaders, including George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, William McKinley and Ulysses S. Grant. Where the murals were marouflaged to the plaster walls, they paintings were conserved on site. The four president portraits were removed for cleaning and inpainting utilizing conservators’ methods and materials in our studio. Ornamental plaster frames were restored and replicated where missing. The historic color scheme including delicate glazes and gilding at the coffered ceiling we reinstated.
While the courtroom was closed for the project, the courtroom remained active and logistical requirements and scheduling was appropriately managed to not disrupt the public and visitors.