St. John the Evangelist
John Canning & Co. restored exquisite decorative painting and murals that had been painted over decades earlier, and revealed with historic paint analysis and exposures
BUILDING FACTSLocation: Clinton, MA Built: 1886 Original Architect: Patrick Ford Style: Gothic Revival
Overpainted complex decoration and fine-art murals were exposed, conserved, and reinstated using traditional methods and materials. Twenty-eight murals by Francis Mueller, a frequent collaborator of both this architect and contemporary Patrick Keely, were painstakingly restored to the artist's original style and intent. The intricately carved marble high altars and side altars were successfully cleaned and conserved to remove decades of grime, dirt, and over-varnishing.