Grant County Courthouse
Through a competitive bid process, John Canning & Co. was selected by Miller Dunwiddie and Grant County to complete the preservation and restoration of interior decorative elements on the second floor of the Grant County Courthouse.
Location: Elbow Lake, MN
Built: Circa 1906
Original Architect: Bell & Detweiler
Status: National Landmark
The restoration project involved an historic paint study to determine the original decorative campaign including the historic paint scheme and original stenciling. Microscopy analysis and on-site exposures uncovered the historic campaign and areas of original marbleizing that had been painted over. A mural on the courtroom ceiling and four murals in the rotunda were conservation cleaned and restored.
The original decoration was replicated and ornamental and flat plaster repaired where water damaged and deterioration occurred. The stained glass in the dome was conservation cleaned and repaired and furnishings throughout the courtroom restored.